Course Catalogs

You are viewing the
2016-2017 Course Catalog

Academic Policies and Procedures


Students will be notified of dates and procedures for registering for courses. Once a student registers for a course, it is the student’s responsibility to cancel if he or she needs to drop the course.

Payment Policy

Students pay or make arrangements for payment of tuition and fees at the beginning of each class.

Withdrawal Policy

A student who withdraws from a course after the drop deadline but before the withdrawal deadline receives a “W” (Withdrawal). A Withdrawal is not computed in the grade point average. After the withdrawal deadline, a student may not withdraw and a grade is recorded. If extenuating circumstances dictate withdrawal from a class after the withdrawal deadline, a student may petition for consideration of a late withdrawal.

Course Load

An undergraduate student must carry 12 credit hours per semester to be considered full-time.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Students who are unable to attend the first meeting of a class for which they are registered should notify the instructor or University College Office prior to the first meeting of the class. Students who plan to discontinue a course after the drop deadline must officially withdraw from the course before the withdrawal deadline (see Withdrawal Policy).

Definition of the Credit Hour

Nebraska Wesleyan University follows the Carnegie definition of the credit hour. However, because courses may be offered using a variety of delivery models (e.g., face-to-face, hybrid, or online), a "credit hour" at NWU is defined as 1) verifiable instructional time and/or activity leading to the achievement of expected learning outcomes for a given course, and 2) learning activities judged by the faculty to be the equivalent of the 135-hour time commitment for a three-credit course (or the correlative commitment for courses offered at different credits).

Therefore, credit hours at NWU may be awarded for a combination of classroom instruction, student work outside of class, or other approved educational activities including, but not limited to: creation of and reflection on a learning portfolio; engaging in clinical education or field experience; participating in and building upon knowledge gained through a practicum; completing a work of performance art, such as original musical scores or artwork; development of a formal presentation or other project related to the discipline.

No credit is earned for a course if a grade of “F” is received. For additional information, contact the Academic Affairs Office.

Classification of Students

Undergraduate students are classified according to the number of credit hours they have accumulated.

Classification Credit Hours Earned
Freshmen 0 to 25.5 hours
Sophomores 26 to 57.5 hours
Juniors 58 to 89.5 hours
Seniors 90 hours and above

Credit Earned Outside Regular Classes

Students may earn credit for coursework outside of regular classes at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Although credit for work completed at unaccredited institutions or in nontraditional academic settings is not normally granted at Nebraska Wesleyan, students may be able to certify their accomplishments through one of the following special programs or procedures:

Advanced Credit in Math and Modern Languages

Students who come to Nebraska Wesleyan with advanced skills in mathematics or modern languages may earn advanced credit for specific prerequisite courses after successfully completing the appropriate intermediate or upper-level course.

The Registrar will record “Advanced Credit” and a grade of “PX” in the prerequisite course(s) after receiving written approval from the department chair. Advanced credit earned in this manner applies toward the total number of hours required for graduation. It may count toward a major, minor, supporting program, or general education requirement for any degree. Advanced credit is not computed in the student’s grade point average. No fees are charged for advanced credit.

Advanced credit may be earned for MATH 1600 Calculus I for students who complete MATH 1610 Calculus II with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better. Credit may be earned for both MATH 1600 Calculus I and MATH 1610 Calculus II if the student completes MATH 2600 Calculus III with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better. Contact the Department of Mathematics for additional information.

Modern Languages
Advanced credit may be earned for intermediate level and third-year courses in French, German, and Spanish for students who complete the appropriate higher-level course with a grade of “B” (3.00) or better. Refer to the Department of Modern Languages for additional information.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students who have participated in an International Baccalaureate program may earn up to 32 college credits at Nebraska Wesleyan. 

Students who have received an International Baccalaureate diploma with a score of 30 or higher and have no score less than four in any one of the six examination groups may be given credit up to a maximum of 32 hours. Students who have achieved a score of five to seven in individual International Baccalaureate courses taken at the higher level may receive credit for those courses, up to a maximum of 32 hours.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students may earn college credit for satisfactory performance on the Advanced Placement tests in high school. There is no fee at Nebraska Wesleyan for credit hours earned through this option. Each request for this type of credit must be supported by results of the Advanced Placement Tests given by the College Entrance Examination Board. The norms for successful performance on a particular exam are determined by the appropriate Nebraska Wesleyan academic departments. For additional information contact the Registrar’s Office.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)*

Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 16 hours of credit by successfully completing College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Although there is a charge for taking the test, there is no additional fee for credit hours earned. To receive CLEP credit, students must score in the 50th percentile or higher; however, the norms for successful performance on a particular exam are determined by the appropriate Nebraska Wesleyan academic departments.

(Students taking the CLEP English Composition tests will also complete the supplementary essay.)

CLEP tests are administered regularly by regional testing centers of the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who have met requirements for these exams may secure credit at Nebraska Wesleyan by requesting the College Board to submit their scores to the Registrar.

For more information contact the Registrar’s Office or the University College Office.

Credit by Examination

A student who wishes to earn credit by taking an institutional course examination pays an examination application fee in advance at the Business Office and completes a formal application available from the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar certifies that the applicant is a student in good standing and that the course involved is not a prerequisite for an advanced course in which the student is currently enrolled or has previously earned credit. Students may not earn credit by examination for courses numbered 1950-1970, 2950-2999, 3950-3970, 4910-4999, and 5910-5990.

The chair or director of the department or program involved must approve the application and direct the administration of the examination. A student who has been enrolled in a course must wait at least six weeks following completion, failure, or withdrawal from a course before applying for credit by examination in the same course.

Satisfactory performance on an examination, signified by a grade of "PX," is the equivalent to a grade of “C-” or higher for undergraduate credit or a grade of "B-" or higher for graduate credit. Students who wish to receive a grade other than “PX” for credit earned by examination must declare this intent, including department chair or program director approval, in writing to the Registrar before taking the examination.

The Registrar will not record credit hours earned by examination until the Business Office certifies that the student has paid the fee for credit hours earned. The student must complete all procedures for claiming credit within 90 days following satisfactory performance on the test.

Courses passed by examination and listed with a grade of “PX” on the student’s transcript are not computed in the student’s grade point average; neither are they considered pass/fail hours. Courses passed by examination with a grade other than “PX” are computed in the student’s grade point average.

Lifelong Learning Portfolio*

Eligible Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 16 hours of academic credit for informal college-level learning that has been experienced outside of the formal higher education setting and demonstrated through a portfolio. Although there is a charge for submitting a portfolio for review, there is no additional fee for credit hours earned. Please contact the Registrar's Office or University College Office for further information and details.

To be eligible, students must be accepted in a degree program at Nebraska Wesleyan, be at least 25 years old, and have five years of work experience.

Workplace and Military Training*

Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 32 hours of academic credit for formal instruction they have accomplished in the military or through corporate training programs. Credit is awarded following the recommendations of the American Council on Education as published in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. There is no fee at Nebraska Wesleyan for credit hours earned through this option. For additional information, contact the Registrar’s Office or the University College Office.


*Credits earned through these prior learning assessment options (CLEP, Workplace and Military Training, Lifelong Learning Portfolio) may not exceed 64 hours.

Transfer of Credits

Credits from regionally accredited two-year institutions, with grades of “C-” or above, are evaluated on a course-by-course basis. A maximum of 64 undergraduate semester hours will be accepted for transfer from two-year institutions. Within that 64 hour limit, Nebraska Wesleyan University may accept up to 16 semester hours for courses of a technical nature.  Although courses taken at a two-year institution may be equated to 3000-level or 4000-level courses, those courses are not counted as upper-level for the NWU degree.  (An additional 29 undergraduate hours may be transferred for graduates of NLNAC-accredited or state-approved collegiate nursing programs.) Undergraduate credit is accepted from all regionally-accredited four-year institutions for courses with a grade of “C-” or above. A maximum of 94 semester credit hours may be accepted from all institutions attended.

Transfer credits count toward the total number of hours earned but are not included in GPA calculations. No undergraduate transfer credits are given for courses with a grade of “D+”, “D” or “D-” or the equivalent. No graduate transfer credits are given for courses with a grade or “C+” or lower or the equivalent.

Evaluation of Academic Work

Grading System

The following grades factor in the Grade Point Average (GPA):

Excellent A/A+ 4.00 grade points
  A- 3.67 grade points
  B+ 3.33 grade points
Good B 3.00 grade points
  B- 2.67 grade points
  C+ 2.33 grade points
Satisfactory C 2.00 grade points
  C- 1.67 grade points
  D+ 1.33 grade points
Marginal D 1.00 grade points
  D- 0.67 grade points


0.00 grade points

F* - Fail: grade of "D+" or lower; student elected Pass/Fail option

The following grades are not counted in the Grade Point Average (GPA):

AU - Audit
I - Incomplete
I* - Permanent Incomplete
NC - No Credit
P - Pass: Grade of "C-" or better earned; course designated as Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented
P* - Pass: Grade of "C-" or better earned; student elected Pass/Fail option
PX - Passed by Examination
W - Withdrawal
WA - Administrative Withdrawal

An “I” (Incomplete) may be given only when work is left incomplete due to extenuating circumstances such as illness, military service, death in immediate family, or personal/family hardship. Students are eligible for an incomplete grade only if they have already completed 75% of the coursework. The percentage of completion is determined by the instructor. A student requests an incomplete grade from the instructor.

If the instructor and department chair or program director approve the request, the student must fill out an Incomplete Agreement form (available from the Registrar's Office) prior to the end of the semester with the instructor and department chair or program director. The work for an Incomplete must be finished within the time allotted by the instructor (maximum of one year from the close of the term in which the student is enrolled). The instructor stipulates what the final grade will become if the work is not completed.

If the work is completed within the allotted time, the instructor determines the final grade according to the quality of the student’s performance. If the work is not completed, the Registrar assigns the final grade stipulated on the Incomplete Agreement form. The final grade is entered on the student's transcript in place of the "I."

A Permanent Incomplete is allowed only in cases resulting from a catastrophic event in the life of a student, such as an incapacitating illness or other problems beyond the control of the student, which prevent the student from completing the work. In such cases, the student, his or her proxy, or the instructor can petition the Executive Committee for a Permanent Incomplete.

Grading Options for Courses

Grading options for each course are published in the class schedules. All courses are offered according to one of the following options:

  • Standard. When courses are offered on a standard basis, instructors submit traditional grades (see grade options under Grading System). Unless a pass/fail designation is indicated, courses follow the standard option. Students may elect to take the course pass/fail (see “Standard Pass/Fail under Student Options).
  • No Pass/Fail. Courses designated by No Pass/Fail (No P/F) must be taken for a letter grade. Students enrolled will earn a traditional grade with no possibility of earning a grade of “P*.”
  • Pass/Fail Only. Any courses designated as Pass/Fail Only (P/F Only) are automatically pass/fail for all students enrolled. Students do not request this option and instructors do not report grades other than “P” or “F.” Internships are normally offered on a pass/fail only basis.
  • Pass/Fail Oriented. In courses designated Pass/Fail Oriented (P/F Orient) students normally receive a “P” or “F” but may request a traditional grade (see Pass/Fail Oriented under Student Options).


The following options are available to undergraduate students:

  • Standard Pass/Fail. Students who wish to take a course offered on a standard basis for pass/fail may request to do so by the P/F deadline. The instructor will not know that a student has elected the pass/fail option and will submit a traditional grade. Grades of “C-” and above are recorded as “P*” on the student’s transcript. Grades of “D+”, “D”, “D-” and “F” are recorded as “F*”.
  • Pass/Fail Oriented. Students who wish to take a course offered on a pass/fail oriented basis for a traditional grade request to do so by the P/F deadline. In this case, the instructor will turn in a traditional grade rather than a “P” or “F” as usual.

Pass/Fail Regulations
The following regulations are in effect:

  • Grades of “P*” and “P” are not computed in the student’s grade point average; grades of “F*” and “F” are computed in the average.
  • Grades of “P*” may not be used to meet requirements for a major, minor or supporting program without permission from the program chair.
  • Students classified as freshmen may not declare a course pass/fail.
  • Sophomore, junior, and senior students may declare one course pass/fail in a term. (This limitation does not apply to courses of 1 hour or fewer or to courses designated Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented.)
  • Students may use only one course with a grade of P* toward the Archway Curriculum. The course must be in the Foundational Literacies area.


A student may register for a course on an audit basis if space is available after first obtaining permission of the instructor. A student will earn no credit for a course taken on an audit basis. The designation of “AU” requires attendance of at least 75% of the class sessions. Should the student not fulfill this obligation, the instructor will indicate so on the final grade report, and the course will not be recorded on the student’s transcript. Music ensembles and certain other courses requiring participation may not be audited. The audit option is not available during Winter Term and Summer sessions.

Repeated Courses

When a student repeats a course, both grades remain on the student’s transcript, but only the last grade earned (whether higher or lower) and the associated credit(s) are used to determine hours earned and the student’s grade point average. Students who repeat a course and earn a grade of “F” lose any credits previously earned for that course.

See individual course descriptions for any repeat restrictions of courses. Courses are subject to change, and therefore repeating a course may not always be possible.

Calculating the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated according to the following steps:

  1. Total all hours taken at Nebraska Wesleyan in courses where traditional grades are earned (A, B, C, D with +’s and -’s, F and F* but not W, WA, P, P*, PX, I, or AU),
  2. Add all grade points, and
  3. Divide the sum of grade points by the sum of hours graded.

A semester GPA is computed each semester in addition to the cumulative GPA.

Transfer credits and grade points are not computed in the Nebraska Wesleyan University GPA. Transfer credits are recorded as a unit and count toward the total number of hours earned (see Transfer of Credits).

Minimum Grade Requirements

A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is required for a bachelor’s degree. A grade of “D+” or below in a subject is not acceptable for meeting major, minor or supporting program requirements. No more than 25 hours of credit earned with grades of “D+”, “D” and “D” (earned at Nebraska Wesleyan) may be applied toward any degree.

Academic Standing for Undergraduate Students

The minimum grade point averages permitted for undergraduate students to be considered in good standing for each classification are as follows:

Classification GPA
Freshman (0-25.5 hours) 1.60
Sophomores (26-57.5 hours) 1.80
Juniors (58-89.5 hours) 1.90
Seniors (90 hours and above) 2.00

At the end of each semester, undergraduate students who fail to remain in good standing are placed on academic warning, probation, or suspension, as outlined on the Undergraduate Academic Standing Table. Contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Undergraduate Academic Standing Table
  Freshmen (0-25.5 hours) Sophomores (26-57.5 hours) Juniors (58.5-89.5 hours) Seniors (90 hours and above)
Academic Warning Cumulative GPA falls below 1.60 Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.00

Academic Probation Cumulative GPA falls below 1.60 at the end of academic warning semester Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80 at the end of academic warning semester

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90 at the end of academic warning semester

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 at the end of academic warning semester

Academic Suspension Cumulative GPA falls below 1.60 at the end of academic probation semester

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80 at the end of academic probation semester 

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90 at the end of academic probation semester  Cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 at the end of academic probation semester

A student who is suspended is not allowed to enroll at NWU during the next semester or at any time in the future unless special permission is secured by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the Associate Dean of University College.

Grade Reports

Students view grades online on WebAdvisor, normally within two weeks following the completion of the term.

Grade Change/Appeal Policy

University College
At the beginning of each term, each University College instructor distributes copies of his or her course syllabus, which includes the faculty member’s grading policy for that course, to students and to the University College Office or Omaha Advantage Office. The copies on file in the University College Office are available for review.

If a student has a question about the grade he or she earned in a course, believes an instructor has violated the grading policy in the class, or thinks the instructor has assigned a grade capriciously or with malicious intent, he or she should arrange to discuss the grade with the instructor. This discussion between the faculty member and student may lead to an agreement that the grade will remain as reported, to a change of grade by the instructor or to further dialogue regarding the grade. Academic policy prohibits extra work to be done in a course after the term has ended. A change in a student’s grade for a course is only possible if an error has been made by the instructor in the determination of the grade or in the reporting of the grade to the Registrar’s Office.

If the discussion between the student and faculty member does not resolve the issue to the student’s satisfaction, the student should have a conversation with the Program Director. [If the Program Director is the instructor, the student will be directed to another University College Program Director.] The Program Director will not change a grade, but will serve as a mediator to hear the facts from both the student and the faculty member and provide a recommendation for further action, if any. Further action may be a change of grade by the instructor or a formal grade appeal by the student.

After speaking with the instructor and Program Director, a student who wishes to pursue further action will submit a formal grade appeal to the University College Lincoln or Omaha Office, using the Grade Appeal form. The formal Grade Appeal form must be submitted to the Dean of University College within 45 calendar days from the end of the term/session in which the course was offered. (If the grade in question was originally an Incomplete, the grade appeal must be submitted within 30 calendar days from the time the grade is turned in to the Registrar’s Office or 30 calendar days from the time the Registrar’s Office has made permanent the letter grade assigned in the event the work is not completed).

All Grade Appeals will be forwarded to the Academic Affairs Office. Contact the University College Lincoln or Omaha Office for the complete Grade Appeal Policy or if there are questions.

Academic Bankruptcy

Academic Bankruptcy of one semester is available for Nebraska Wesleyan undergraduate students.  To be eligible, the student must currently be enrolled at Nebraska Wesleyan and not have completed his or her baccalaureate degree. At least 24 credits must have been earned by the student with an average GPA of 2.50 since the semester the student wishes to declare bankrupt, with 12 of those subsequent credits being earned at NWU.

Students file a “Declaration of Academic Bankruptcy” with the Registrar’s Office and the above eligibility requirements are confirmed.  Academic bankruptcy is for an entire semester; students may not specify individual courses or grades to bankrupt.  The bankrupt semester will remain on the student’s transcript: the original course grades will appear with a bankruptcy notation. Credit is not earned for any course within the bankrupted semester and therefore the courses may not count as graduation credit or be used to fulfill or waive a requirement. The bankrupt semester will not count in the student’s GPA.

Course Numbering System

The University’s courses are numbered and classified as follows:

1000-1999 Lower-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for freshman students
2000-2999 Lower-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for sophomore students
3000-3999 Upper-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for junior students
4000-4999 Upper-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for senior students
5000-5999 Graduate-level courses



The Registrar’s Office will release transcripts only after the student has granted permission in writing or through the secure online request system. Students whose accounts are paid in full are entitled to an official transcript of their academic record. A fee is charged for each copy of a student's transcript. Contact the Registrar's Office for details regarding transcript requests.

Student Petitions

The Executive Committee acts upon student petitions involving academic requirements. Students requesting adjustments to academic rules and policies may direct their petitions to the Registrar’s Office for Executive Committee consideration.  For additional information, contact the University College Office or an academic advisor.

Privacy of Educational Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 provides for specific rights to students regarding the privacy of their educational records. Nebraska Wesleyan policies and procedures that pertain to this law are available through the Student Life Office or Registrar’s Office.

Nebraska Wesleyan has designated the following as directory information:

  • Name
  • Home address
  • Local address
  • Home telephone number
  • Local telephone number
  • Email address
  • Classification and major
  • Dates of attendance at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Date and place of birth
  • Degrees and awards received at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Institutions attended prior to admission to Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Participation in recognized activities and sports
  • Photograph
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams

Directory information may be disclosed by Nebraska Wesleyan University without student consent. However, students have the right to withhold disclosure of this information. Students must notify the Registrar in writing during the first week of classes each semester if they do not wish directory information to be released without their permission.

Nebraska Wesleyan will not disclose the contents of students’ educational records to other parties without student consent except under circumstances allowed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Educational records are available for review by students in agreement with the act. Students should submit to the Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. Students may ask Nebraska Wesleyan to amend their educational records if information in them is incorrect, misleading, or in violation of their privacy rights. Students have the right to challenge the contents of an educational record under prescribed procedures and to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education if there is a violation of the Act.

Assessment of Student Learning

As part of its stated mission regarding excellence in education, Nebraska Wesleyan University is committed to assessing the degree to which students attain the institution’s educational goals. The faculty and staff may require students to participate in a variety of assessment activities that will help determine the extent to which these goals are being met. Assessment activities may include, but are not limited to, standardized testing, placement tests, surveys, portfolios of student work, group or individual interviews, or classroom research. Results are used to inform the process of teaching and learning, to shape the design and implementation of programs and curricula, and to describe and enrich the student experience at Nebraska Wesleyan University.

Student Right-to-Know Act

In accordance with the Student Right-to-Know Act of 1993, Nebraska Wesleyan’s student persistence/graduation rates are available for disclosure to current and prospective students, employees, and interested community members. See the Registrar’s Office for this information.

Teacher Certification Pass Rate

Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA) requires institutions with a teacher preparation program enrolling students receiving federal assistance under the HEA to provide information regarding the pass rate of program completers on assessments required by the state for teacher licensure or certification, the statewide pass rate on those assessments, and other basic information on the institution’s teacher preparation program.

Please contact the Education Department (Smith-Curtis 130) for this information.

Academic Dishonesty

The Code of Student Conduct states that students found to have engaged in academic dishonesty, which encompasses such activities as cheating, plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration, misrepresentation, and bribery, are subject to disciplinary sanctions. (See Article V of the Code of Student Conduct for a comprehensive listing of misconduct that is subject to disciplinary sanctions, as well as relevant terms and definitions.)

Faculty members have full authority in determining the action to be taken in cases of academic dishonesty. In addition to implementing the statements of the course syllabus addressing academic dishonesty, faculty may file a Report of Academic Dishonesty with the Registrar, or file a complaint with the Student Conduct System. If a Report of Academic Dishonesty is filed, a first report on a student prompts no further action. However, if a second report for a student is filed, a formal complaint is submitted against the student with the Student Conduct System. Any report after a second will launch another complaint. Complaints submitted to Student Conduct System prompt a formal judicial investigation.

Students should contact the Academic Affairs Office, Student Life Office, or Registrar’s Office for more information.