Course Catalogs

You are viewing the
2024-2025 Course Catalog

Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures


New Student Registration
New students receive instructions regarding registration from the Admissions Office.

Current Student Registration
At a designated time late in each semester, current, reactivating, and visiting students register for the subsequent semester. Students are notified of the appropriate registration days and procedures. Once students register for courses, it is their responsibility to notify the university if they wish to cancel their enrollment. General registration and add/drop continues until the the start of each term (see specific deadlines in the published Academic Calendar).

Change of Registration
(Dropping and Adding Individual Courses)
It is the student's responsibility to add or drop a course if needed, and students must refer to the add and drop deadlines for each term (see specific deadlines in the published Academic Calendar). After the add deadline, no course(s) may be added to a student’s schedule without special permission via petition from the Executive Committee.

Course(s) are deleted from a student’s schedule if dropped before the drop deadline. (See Withdrawal From All Courses if deleting all courses.) A student who wishes to remove a course from his or her schedule after the appropriate drop deadline may withdraw from the course before the published withdrawal deadline in the Academic Calendar (see Withdrawal from a Course).

Payment Policy

Students pay or make arrangements for payment of tuition, fees, room, and board at the beginning of each term. See the Business Office for billing or payment information.

Cancellation of Registration

A student’s registration is canceled after the first week of classes if the student has not attended any course meeting. A student may be administratively withdrawn from his or her classes after the first week of the semester if arrangements for payment have not been completed. When a student is administratively withdrawn, he or she will be charged 10% of the tuition and fees applying to his or her registration.

Once a student’s registration has been canceled or a student has been administratively withdrawn, he or she must appeal to the Dean of Undergraduate Programs to re-register for that semester.

Withdrawal Policy

Withdrawal from a Course
A student who withdraws from a course after the drop deadline but before the withdrawal deadline* receives a “W” (Withdrawal). A Withdrawal is not computed in the grade point average. After the withdrawal deadline, a student may not withdraw and a grade is recorded. If extenuating circumstances dictate withdrawal from a class after the deadline, a student may petition the Executive Committee for consideration of a late withdrawal.

Withdrawal from all Courses
A traditional student who discontinues his or her enrollment at Nebraska Wesleyan after the first week but before the end of the tenth week of the semester must file a Withdrawal from All Courses request in the Academic Affairs Office to avoid receiving “F” grades in all courses. After the withdrawal deadline, a student may not withdraw and grades are recorded. If extenuating circumstances dictate the necessity to discontinue enrollment after the deadline, the student may petition the Executive Committee for consideration of a late withdrawal. Contact the Academic Affairs Office for forms and additional information.

It is the student's responsibility to withdraw from a course if needed.

*Withdrawal deadline is the end of the tenth week of the fall and spring semester or the date at which 60% of the semester has been completed according to Federal Return of Title IV calculations, whichever is later.

Course Load

An undergraduate student must carry a minimum of 12 credit hours to be considered full time. (Definitions of “full-time status” may differ as they relate to eligibility for participation in intercollegiate athletics. For additional information, contact the Athletic Office.) A course load of 18 hours is the maximum allowed under the regular undergraduate tuition rate. A schedule in excess of 18 hours must be approved by the student’s advisor and overload tuition is charged.

A normal full-time traditional undergraduate course load consists of 15 to 17 credit hours per semester. To complete the minimum number of credit hours required for graduation within four academic years, students will average 16 hours per semester. Students who plan to work while in college should arrange their schedules accordingly.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Each instructor provides a written statement of his or her attendance policy to each class during the first meeting in the course syllabus. A copy of the syllabus is also available for examination in the Academic Affairs Office.

Students who are unable to attend the first meeting of a class or laboratory for which they are registered should notify the instructor or department chair prior to the first meeting of the class or laboratory. If a notification of the student’s intent is not received, the instructor, at his or her discretion, may cancel the student’s registration if space is needed in the course. Ultimately it is the students' responsibility to officially drop any course they don't plan on attending before the drop deadline.

Students who plan to discontinue a course after the drop deadline must officially withdraw from the course before the withdrawal deadline (see Withdrawal Policy).

Note that if a student who has been awarded a federal loan and/or grant does not officially withdraw and fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course over an entire semester, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can document that the student completed the semester. Federal regulations require that a Title IV refund calculation be processed by the Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Faculty members keep attendance records and may report absences deemed excessive to the student support system whenever counseling seems desirable. Each instructor may enforce attendance policies independently, however.

Students must take responsibility for contacting faculty regarding their anticipated absences for curricular and co-curricular activities and arranging for make-up work as expected. Students who anticipate absences because of curricular or co-curricular activities should make every effort to avoid other absences from classes. Guidelines regarding student absences for curricular and co-curricular activities are provided in the Student Handbook. For more information about these guidelines, contact the Academic Affairs Office or the Student Life Office.

Culmination Period

The culmination period for traditional semester-long courses is a week-long interval in which no lecture examinations, tests, or quizzes are given (exceptions include laboratory practical examinations, activity examinations, final performances, makeup or repeat examinations, and self-paced examinations). The Academic Affairs Office may grant other exceptions. Commonly referred to as “Dead Week,” this period begins at 8 a.m. seven days before final examinations commence, and remains in effect until the beginning of the first exam of Finals Week. Courses offered in sessions shorter than the full semester do not have a Culmination Period.

Final Examinations

A final examination period is scheduled for traditional semester-long courses and second eight-week courses. No separate final exams are scheduled for first eight-week courses; final exams are completed during the last scheduled class meeting. The Final Examination Schedule is posted each semester according to the day/time of the course section (see Registrar's Office website for final exam schedule). Each course must meet no fewer than 50 minutes during the period specified in the final exam schedule. Any deviation from the published Final Examination Schedule must be approved by the Dean of Undergraduate Programs a minimum of 24 hours before the final in question. (Exception: if there are multiple sections of a course, an instructor may allow a student to meet at the final exam time of another section of the same course.)

All students, including seniors, take final examinations in each course for which they are registered unless the instructor exempts individual students from this requirement.

The Academic Year

The traditional academic year is divided into two 16-week semesters, a winter term between the semesters, and summer sessions. 

Fall and Spring Semesters
The first semester, referred to as the “Fall” semester, begins in late August and ends before Christmas. The second or “Spring” semester, begins in January and ends in early May. Some courses within a semester may be taught in shorter sessions, such as eight-weeks.

Winter Term
A five-week Winter Term is available between the Fall and Spring semesters (overlaps with both semesters), offering courses in arranged, online, or hybrid formats, to provide students the opportunity to complete a course during the holiday break.

Summer Sessions
Courses are regularly scheduled in Summer five- and eight-week sessions. Faculty-led travel courses are also often offered in the summer.

Definition of the Credit Hour

Nebraska Wesleyan University follows the Federal Credit Hour Definition. Because courses are offered using a variety of delivery models at Nebraska Wesleyan (e.g., face-to-face, accelerated, hybrid, or online), a "credit hour" at NWU is defined as 1) verifiable instructional time and/or activity leading to the achievement of expected learning outcomes for a given course, and 2) learning activities judged by the faculty to be the equivalent of the 45-hour time commitment for a one-credit course.

Therefore, credit hours at NWU may be awarded for a combination of classroom instruction, student work outside of class, or other approved educational activities including, but not limited to: creation of and reflection on a learning portfolio; engaging in clinical education or field experience; participating in and building upon knowledge gained through a practicum; completing a work of performance art, such as original musical scores or artwork; development of a formal presentation or other project related to the discipline.

No credit is earned for a course if a grade of “F” is received. For additional information, contact the Academic Affairs Office.

Nebraska Wesleyan University Course Delivery Methods

  • Standard Direct (face-to-face) Instruction: Minimum instructional time is verified for each course section, regardless of term length. Courses may use a combination of in-class and directed out-of-class learning activities that amount to no less than 45 hours per credit hour.
  • Accelerated Direct (face-to-face) Instruction: Course sections normally meet once per week for 4 hours, with sufficient work outside of class such that each credit hour represents not less than 45 hours of student work.
  • Online or Hybrid: Courses offered fully online (75-100% online) or in a hybrid format (25-75% online) must meet the course description, learning objectives, and credit hour standards. 

Classification of Students

Undergraduate students are classified according to the number of credit hours they have successfully completed.


Credit Hours Earned


0 to 25.5 hours


26 to 57.5 hours


58 to 89.5 hours


90 hours and above

Credit Earned Outside Regular Classes

Students may earn credit for coursework outside of regular classes at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Although credit for work completed at unaccredited institutions or in nontraditional academic settings is not normally granted at Nebraska Wesleyan, students may be able to certify their accomplishments through one of the following special programs or procedures:

Advanced Credit in Mathematics

Students who come to Nebraska Wesleyan with advanced skills in mathematics may earn advanced credit for specific prerequisite courses after successfully completing the appropriate intermediate or upper-level course.

The Registrar will record “Advanced Credit” and a grade of “PX” in the prerequisite course(s) after receiving written approval from the department chair. Advanced credit earned in this manner applies toward the total number of hours required for graduation. It may count toward a major, minor, supporting program, or general education requirement for any degree. Advanced credit is not computed in the student’s grade point average. No fees are charged for advanced credit.
Advanced credit may be earned for MATH 1600 Calculus I for students who complete MATH 1610 Calculus II with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better. Credit may be earned for both MATH 1600 Calculus I and MATH 1610 Calculus II if the student completes MATH 2600 Calculus III with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better. Contact the Department of Mathematics for additional information.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students who have participated in an International Baccalaureate program may earn up to 32 college credits at Nebraska Wesleyan. 

Students who have received an IB diploma with a score of 30 or higher and have no score less than four in any one of the six examination groups may be given credit up to a maximum of 32 hours. Students who have achieved a score of five to seven in individual International Baccalaureate courses taken at the higher level may receive credit for those courses, up to a maximum of 32 hours.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students may earn college credit for satisfactory performance on the Advanced Placement tests in high school. There is no fee at Nebraska Wesleyan for credit hours earned through this option. Each request for this type of credit must be supported by results of the Advanced Placement Tests given by the College Entrance Examination Board. The norms for successful performance on a particular exam are determined by the appropriate Nebraska Wesleyan academic departments. For additional information contact the Registrar’s Office.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)**

Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 16 hours of credit by successfully completing College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Although there is a charge for taking the test, there is no additional fee for credit hours earned. To receive CLEP credit, students must score in the 50th percentile or higher; however, the norms for successful performance on a particular exam are determined by the appropriate Nebraska Wesleyan academic departments.

(Students taking the CLEP English Composition tests will also complete the supplementary essay.)

CLEP tests are administered regularly by regional testing centers of the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who have met requirements for these exams may secure credit at Nebraska Wesleyan by requesting the College Board to submit their scores to the Registrar.

For more information contact the Registrar’s Office.

Credit by Examination

A student who wishes to earn credit for a Nebraska Wesleyan University course may apply for Credit by Examination. The department chair/program director must approve that the course is appropriate to earn via credit by exam, the student must be in good standing, and the requested course cannot be a prerequisite for an advanced course in which the student is currently enrolled or has previously earned credit.  Credit by examination may not be earned for Selected Topics, Directed Readings, Independent Study, Special Projects, or Capstone courses. A student who has been enrolled in a course must wait at least six weeks following completion, failure, or withdrawal from a course before applying for credit by examination in the same course.

To pursue credit by examination, the student completes the Credit by Examination Application and pays the application fee. Within 30 days, the department chair/program director, or her/his designee, directs the administration of an examination or other appropriate discipline-based method for examining skills, knowledge, and competency of the course content.

Satisfactory performance for credit by examination, signified by a grade of "PX," is the equivalent to a grade of “C-” or higher for undergraduate credit or a grade of "B-" or higher for graduate credit. Students who wish to receive a grade other than “PX” for credit by examination must declare this intent prior to the exam, including department chair/program director approval, on the Credit by Examination Application. Courses passed by examination and listed with a grade of “PX” on the student’s transcript are not computed in the student’s grade point average; neither are they considered pass/fail hours. Courses passed by examination with a grade other than “PX” are computed in the student’s grade point average.  (The department chair/program director must approve the use of a course with a grade of “PX” toward the major or program.)

Lifelong Learning Portfolio**

Eligible Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 16 hours of academic credit for informal college-level learning that has been experienced outside of the formal higher education setting and demonstrated through a portfolio. Although there is a charge for submitting a portfolio for review, there is no additional fee for credit hours earned. Please contact the Registrar's Office for further information and details.

To be eligible, students must be accepted in a degree program at Nebraska Wesleyan, be at least 25 years old, and have five years of work experience.

Workplace and Military Training**

Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 32 hours of academic credit for formal instruction they have accomplished in the military or through corporate training programs. Credit is awarded following the recommendations of the American Council on Education as published in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. There is no fee at Nebraska Wesleyan for credit hours earned through this option. For additional information, contact the Registrar’s Office.

**Credits earned through these prior learning assessment options (CLEP, Workplace and Military Training, Lifelong Learning Portfolio) may not exceed 64 hours.

Proficiency Examinations for No Credit

Students may be able to take departmental examinations to demonstrate proficiency for a course or requirement without receiving credit. Although successful completion of a proficiency examination waives a required course or requirement, it does not reduce the total number of hours needed for graduation. Students should consult with individual department chairs to see if a proficiency examination for no credit is available.

Transfer of Credits

A maximum of 94 semester credit hours may transfer from all institutions attended. Credits from regionally accredited two-year institutions, with grades of “C-” or above, are evaluated on a course-by-course basis. A maximum of 64 undergraduate semester hours will be accepted for transfer from two-year institutions. Within that 64 hour limit, Nebraska Wesleyan University may accept up to 16 semester hours for courses of a technical nature.  Although courses taken at a two-year institution may be equated to 3000-level or 4000-level courses, those courses are not counted as upper-level for the NWU degree.  (An additional 29 undergraduate hours may be transferred for graduates of NLNAC-accredited or state-approved collegiate nursing programs.) Undergraduate credit is accepted from all regionally-accredited four-year institutions for courses with a grade of “C-” or above.

Nebraska Wesleyan students who wish to enroll in one or more courses at another institution should secure in advance the approval of the student's advisor and/or the appropriate department chair(s) to ensure that credits are transferable. Students must earn at least 32 credit hours at Nebraska Wesleyan, of which a minimum of 12 must be in the major. To ensure transferability of credits earned while studying abroad, students should secure written permission from the Director of Global Engagement and their advisors before leaving the United States. For more information and special advising on study abroad programs, contact the Director of Global Engagement. Students transferring from other institutions will have their transcripts evaluated by the Registrar to determine which credits Nebraska Wesleyan will accept (see Admission of Transfer Students).

Transfer credits count toward the total number of hours earned but are not included in GPA calculations. No undergraduate transfer credits are given for courses with a grade of “D+”, “D” or “D-” or the equivalent. No graduate transfer credits are given for courses with a grade or “C+” or lower or the equivalent.

Graduate-Level Courses Toward Bachelor's Degree

A student may only count a specific number of graduate-level credits toward a bachelor’s degree based on one of the following options: 

  1. Student formally accepted to a NWU 3+2 Master of Athletic Training (MAT) program: student may count 32 credits of graduate coursework awarded in the 4th year of the program toward an Exercise Science major. Graduate-level courses will be taken during the 4th year of undergraduate program and will count toward both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements.
  2. All other undergraduate majors: student may count 12 credits of graduate coursework toward an NWU undergraduate major as long as the student is granted permission by both the graduate program director and the undergraduate department chair or the student has been formally admitted to a program designed for early enrollment in graduate courses (see program admission requirements). Permission should be granted only after the program director/department chair consult with each other regarding space availability and curricular/pedagogical appropriateness, as well as confirming that the student meets the following standards: senior standing, a 3.25 or higher NWU GPA, and completed all necessary course prerequisites.

Graduate-level coursework completed by an undergraduate student will count as undergraduate credit and be calculated in the student's undergraduate GPA, as well as count as graduate credit and calculated in the graduate GPA.

Evaluation of Academic Work

Grading System

The following grades factor in the Grade Point Average (GPA):



4.00 grade points



3.67 grade points



3.33 grade points



3.00 grade points



2.67 grade points



2.33 grade points



2.00 grade points



1.67 grade points



1.33 grade points



1.00 grade points



0.67 grade points



0.00 grade points

F* - Fail: grade of "D+" or lower; student elected Pass/Fail option

The following grades are not counted in the Grade Point Average (GPA):

AU - Audit
I - Incomplete
I* - Permanent Incomplete
NC - No Credit
P - Pass: Grade of "C-" or better earned; course designated as Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented
P* - Pass: Grade of "C-" or better earned; student elected Pass/Fail option
PX - Passed by Examination
W - Withdrawal
WA - Administrative Withdrawal

An “I” (Incomplete) may be given only when work is left incomplete due to extenuating circumstances such as illness, military service, death in immediate family, or personal/family hardship. Students are eligible for an incomplete grade only if they have already completed 75% of the coursework. The percentage of completion is determined by the instructor. A student requests an incomplete grade from the instructor.

If the instructor and department chair or program director approve the request, the student must fill out an Incomplete Agreement form (available from the Registrar's Office) prior to the end of the semester with the instructor and department chair or program director. The work for an Incomplete must be finished within the time allotted by the instructor (maximum of one year from the close of the term in which the student is enrolled*). The instructor stipulates what the final grade will become if the work is not completed.

If the work is completed within the allotted time, the instructor determines the final grade according to the quality of the student’s performance. If the work is not completed, the Registrar assigns the final grade stipulated on the Incomplete Agreement form. The final grade is entered on the student's transcript in place of the "I."

A Permanent Incomplete is allowed only in cases resulting from a catastrophic event in the life of a student, such as an incapacitating illness or other problems beyond the control of the student, which prevent the student from completing the work. In such cases, the student, his or her proxy, or the instructor can petition the Executive Committee for a Permanent Incomplete.

Grading Options for Courses

Grading options for each course are published in the class schedules. All courses are offered according to one of the following options:

  • Standard. When courses are offered on a standard basis, instructors submit traditional grades (see grade options under Grading System). Unless a pass/fail designation is indicated, courses follow the standard option. Students may elect to take the course pass/fail (see “Standard Pass/Fail under Student Options).
  • No Pass/Fail. Courses designated by No Pass/Fail (No P/F) must be taken for a letter grade. Students enrolled will earn a traditional grade with no possibility of earning a grade of “P*.”
  • Pass/Fail Only. Any courses designated as Pass/Fail Only (P/F Only) are automatically pass/fail for all students enrolled. Students do not request this option and instructors do not report grades other than “P” or “F.” Internships are normally offered on a pass/fail only basis.
  • Pass/Fail Oriented. In courses designated Pass/Fail Oriented (P/F Orient) students normally receive a “P” or “F” but may request a traditional grade (see Pass/Fail Oriented under Student Options).


The following options are available to undergraduate students:

  • Standard Pass/Fail. Students who wish to take a course offered on a standard basis for pass/fail may request to do so in the Registrar’s Office. To elect the pass/fail option, students submit a written request to the Registrar no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester. (Deadlines for winter term, summer and other shortened terms are prorated. See the published Academic Calendar for specific deadlines.) The instructor will not know that a student has elected the pass/fail option and will submit a traditional grade. Grades of “C-” and above are recorded as “P*” on the student’s transcript. Grades of “D+”, “D”, “D-” and “F” are recorded as “F*”.
  • Pass/Fail Oriented. Students who wish to take a course offered on a pass/fail oriented basis for a traditional grade submit a written request to the Registrar’s Office no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester. (Deadlines for winter term, summer and other shortened terms are adjusted accordingly.) In this case, the instructor will turn in a traditional grade rather than a “P” or “F” as usual.

Pass/Fail Regulations
The following regulations are in effect:

  • Grades of “P*” and “P” are not computed in the student’s grade point average; grades of “F*” and “F” are computed in the average.
  • Grades of “P*” may not be used to meet requirements for a major, minor or supporting program without permission from the chair of the department offering the major or minor.
  • Students classified as freshmen may not declare a course pass/fail.
  • Students classified as sophomore and above may declare one course pass/fail in a term. (This limitation does not apply to courses of 1 hour or fewer or to courses designated Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented.)
  • Students may use only one course with a grade of P* toward the Archway Curriculum. The course must be in the Foundational Literacies area.


A student may register for a course on an audit basis if space is available after first obtaining permission of the instructor. A student will earn no credit for a course taken on an audit basis. The designation of “AU” requires attendance of at least 75% of the class sessions. Should the student not fulfill this obligation, the instructor will indicate so on the final grade report, and the course will not be recorded on the student’s transcript. Music ensembles and certain other courses requiring participation may not be audited. The audit option is not available during Winter Term and Summer sessions.

Repeated Courses

When a student repeats a course, both grades remain on the student’s transcript, but only the last grade earned (whether higher or lower) and the associated credit(s) are used to determine hours earned and the student’s grade point average. Students who repeat a course and earn a grade of “F” lose any credits previously earned for that course.

See individual course descriptions for any repeat restrictions of courses. Courses are subject to change, and therefore repeating a course may not always be possible.

Calculating the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated according to the following steps:

  1. Total all hours taken at Nebraska Wesleyan in courses where traditional grades are earned (A, B, C, D with +’s and -’s, F and F* but not W, WA, P, P*, PX, I, or AU),
  2. Add all grade points, and
  3. Divide the sum of grade points by the sum of hours graded.

A semester GPA is computed each semester in addition to the cumulative GPA.

Transfer credits and grade points are not computed in the Nebraska Wesleyan University GPA. Transfer credits are recorded as a unit and count toward the total number of hours earned (see Transfer of Credits).

Minimum Grade Requirements

A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is required for a bachelor’s degree. A grade of “D+” or below in a subject is not acceptable for meeting major, minor or supporting program requirements. No more than 25 hours of credit earned with grades of “D+”, “D” and “D-” (earned at Nebraska Wesleyan) may be applied toward any degree.

Academic Standing for Undergraduate Students

The minimum grade point averages permitted for undergraduate students to be considered in good standing for each classification are as follows:



Freshman (0-25.5 hours)


Sophomores (26-57.5 hours)


Juniors (58-89.5 hours)


Seniors (90 hours and above)


At the end of each semester, undergraduate students who fail to remain in good standing are placed on academic probation or suspension, as outlined on the Undergraduate Academic Standing Table below. Students may stay on academic probation for multiple semesters. Students are suspended after the semester on probation if both their cumulative GPA and semester GPA are below the class level requirement. If a student is on academic probation and their cumulative GPA remains below the class level requirement but their semester GPA is above the class level requirement, the student will remain on academic probation. Contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Undergraduate Academic Standing Table

Freshmen (0-25.5 hours)

Sophomores (26-57.5 hours)

Juniors (58.5-89.5 hours)

Seniors (90 hours and above)

Academic Probation

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.8

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.9

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.0

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.0

Academic Suspension

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80 at the end of academic probation semester AND semester GPA is below 1.8

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90 at the end of academic probation semester AND semester GPA is below 1.9

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 at the end of academic probation semester AND semester GPA is below 2.0

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 at the end of academic probation semester AND semester GPA is below 2.0

A student who is suspended is not allowed to enroll at NWU during the next semester or at any time in the future unless an appeal is granted by the Academic Standards Committee.

Grade Reports

Final Grades: Students view grades online on Self-Service following the completion of the term.

Grade Change/Appeal Policy

At the beginning of each term, the instructor provides students his/her course syllabus that includes the grading policy for that course. A copy is also submitted to the Academic Affairs Office, which will be on file and available for review.

At the end of the term, if a student has a question about the grade he or she received in a course, or believes an instructor has violated the grading policy of the class, the student should arrange to discuss the grade with the instructor. This discussion between the instructor and student may lead to an agreement that the grade will remain as reported, or that the instructor will submit a change of grade. Note that academic policy prohibits extra work being done in a course after the term has ended. A change in a student’s grade for a course is only possible if an error has been made by the instructor in the determination of the grade or in the reporting of the grade to the Registrar’s Office. (A student who desires a higher grade for a course has the option of repeating the course by registering for the class during a subsequent term. Both grades will show on the student’s transcript; however, the last grade earned is used to determine the GPA.)

If an error has been made by the instructor in the determination of the grade or in the reporting of the grade to the Registrar’s Office, the instructor may submit a change of grade form to the Registrar’s Office. Any error not reported within four months after the end of the term must have the approval of the Dean of Undergraduate Programs before it will be accepted by the Registrar’s Office. A changed grade replaces the original grade reported on the student’s transcript and automatically changes the cumulative GPA.

If the discussion between the student and instructor does not resolve the issue to the student’s satisfaction, the next step is for the student to have a conversation with the Department Chair/Program Director. The Department Chair/Program Director will attempt to mediate between the instructor and the student in order to resolve the dispute.

After speaking with the instructor and Department Chair/Program Director, a student who wishes to pursue further action will file a formal grade appeal. The formal grade appeal must be filed within two months from the end of the term. Students should contact the Academic Affairs Office for the complete Grade Appeal Policy or with any questions about the policy.

Academic Bankruptcy

Academic Bankruptcy of one semester is available for Nebraska Wesleyan undergraduate students.  To be eligible, the student must currently be enrolled at Nebraska Wesleyan and not have completed his or her baccalaureate degree. At least 24 credits must have been earned by the student with an average GPA of 2.50 since the semester the student wishes to declare bankrupt, with 12 of those subsequent credits being earned at NWU.

Students file a “Declaration of Academic Bankruptcy” with the Registrar’s Office and the above eligibility requirements are confirmed.  Academic bankruptcy is for an entire semester; students may not specify individual courses or grades to bankrupt.  The bankrupt semester will remain on the student’s transcript: the original course grades will appear with a bankruptcy notation. Credit is not earned for any course within the bankrupted semester and therefore the courses may not count as graduation credit or be used to fulfill or waive a requirement. The bankrupt semester will not count in the student’s GPA.

Course Numbering System

The University’s courses are numbered and classified as follows:


Lower-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for freshman students


Lower-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for sophomore students


Upper-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for junior students


Upper-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for senior students

5000 and above

Graduate-level courses


The Registrar’s Office will release transcripts only after the student has granted permission in writing or through the secure online request system. All financial obligations should be met in order for students to be entitled to an official transcript of their academic record. Transcripts are provided in full only. No transcripts will be issued with an incomplete or partial record of a student's program. A fee is charged for each copy of a student's transcript.  Contact the Registrar’s Office for details regarding transcript requests.

Student Petitions

The Executive Committee acts upon student petitions involving academic requirements. Students requesting adjustments to academic rules and policies may direct their petitions to the Registrar’s Office for Executive Committee consideration. The committee is composed of the Academic Division Chairs, the University Registrar, the Dean of Undergraduate Education (Chair of the Committee) and a representative of Student Affairs Senate. For additional information, contact the Academic Affairs Office or the Registrar’s Office.

Privacy of Educational Records - FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of student education records and provides students the following rights with respect to their education records:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.
Students should submit to the Registrar, Dean, Department Chair or Program Director, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for, and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading.
Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.
If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

NOTE: FERPA is not a grade-appeal law. The right to challenge grades under FERPA is limited to situations where the grade assigned was inaccurately recorded.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosures without consent.
FERPA allows the University to disclose records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions:

  • Nebraska Wesleyan University officials with a legitimate educational interest*
  • Other schools to which a student is requesting transfer or enrollment
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school
  • Accrediting organizations
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies

FERPA permits the University to disclose educational record information to a student’s parent or guardian if the student is their dependent for federal tax purposes. (**See Parental or Third Party Access to Academic Records)

FERPA also allows the University to disclose directory information without the written consent of the student. Directory information is information that generally would not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Nebraska Wesleyan University has designated the following as directory information:

  • Name
  • Addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • Email addresses
  • Student Level and Classification at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Degree programs, certificate programs, majors, and minors declared at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Dates of attendance at Nebraska Wesleyan, enrollment status, and anticipated graduation date
  • Degrees, certificates, and awards received at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Institutions attended prior to admission to Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Participation in recognized activities and sports at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Photographs taken and maintained by the University
  • Weight and height of members of Nebraska Wesleyan athletic teams

Students have the right to withhold disclosure of this directory information. Students must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing or via approved electronic means, if they do not wish directory information to be released without their permission.  

FERPA requires the University to record the disclosure of information to third parties, except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to judicial orders and subpoenas, disclosures of directory information and disclosures to the student. Students may inspect and review the record of such disclosures.

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with requirements of FERPA. 
The name and address of the office that administers FERPA are:
      Family Policy Compliance Office
      U.S. Department of Education
      400 Maryland Avenue, SW
      Washington, DC 20202
      Phone: 1-800-872-5327

* A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including security and student health personnel); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (including attorneys, auditors, collection agency, the National Student Clearinghouse); a person serving on the Board of Governors; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

**Parental or Third Party Access to Academic Records

All academic information is sent directly to students. Therefore, parents should establish communication with their sons and daughters if they wish to be informed about their students’ schedule and academic progress. Under FERPA, parents of Nebraska Wesleyan students may request in writing and receive their son or daughter’s grade information if the student has granted NWU authorization or after providing proof that the student is a dependent and is claimed as a tax exemption. Also, a student may grant a parent (or other third party) access to his/her academic and financial records through his/her WebAdvisor account.

Assessment of Student Learning

As part of its stated mission regarding excellence in education, Nebraska Wesleyan University is committed to assessing the degree to which students attain the institution’s educational goals. The faculty and staff may require students to participate in a variety of assessment activities that will help determine the extent to which these goals are being met. Assessment activities may include, but are not limited to, standardized testing, placement tests, surveys, portfolios of student work, group or individual interviews, or classroom research. Results are used to inform the process of teaching and learning, to shape the design and implementation of programs and curricula, and to describe and enrich the student experience at Nebraska Wesleyan University.

Student Right-to-Know Act

In accordance with the Student Right-to-Know Act of 1993, Nebraska Wesleyan’s student persistence/graduation rates are available for disclosure to current and prospective students, employees, and interested community members. See the Registrar’s Office for this information.

Teacher Certification Pass Rate

Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA) requires institutions with a teacher preparation program enrolling students receiving federal assistance under the HEA to provide information regarding the pass rate of program completes on assessments required by the state for teacher licensure or certification, the statewide pass rate on those assessments, and other basic information on the institution’s teacher preparation program.

Please contact the Education Department (Smith-Curtis 130) for this information.

Academic Dishonesty

The Code of Student Conduct states that students found to have engaged in academic dishonesty, which encompasses such activities as cheating, plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration, misrepresentation, and bribery, are subject to disciplinary sanctions. (See Article V of the Code of Student Conduct for a comprehensive listing of misconduct that is subject to disciplinary sanctions, as well as relevant terms and definitions.)

Faculty members have full authority in determining the action to be taken in cases of academic dishonesty. In addition to implementing the statements of the course syllabus addressing academic dishonesty, faculty may file a Report of Academic Dishonesty with the Registrar, or file a complaint with the Student Conduct System. If a Report of Academic Dishonesty is filed, a first report on a student prompts no further action. However, if a second report for a student is filed, a formal complaint is submitted against the student with the Student Conduct System. Any report after a second will launch another complaint. Complaints submitted to Student Conduct System prompt a formal judicial investigation.

Students should contact the Student Life Office for more information.