Course Catalogs

You are viewing the
2017-2018 Course Catalog

Academic Policies and Procedures


New Student Registration
First year and transfer students for the fall semester will be registered for classes during the prior spring semester or summer by a faculty advisor, and will be invited to campus early in the summer to complete their schedules. New students entering in the spring semester will register beginning in November through early January. International students will work with the Office of Global Engagement to complete their registration prior to arriving on campus.

Current Student Pre-Registration
At a designated time late in each semester, current degree-seeking students register for the subsequent semester. Students are notified of the appropriate days and procedures.

General Registration
Registration for visiting students and returning students begins immediately following the current degree-seeking student pre-registration period and continues through the first full week of classes. After the registration period has closed, students may register only with special permission from the Executive Committee. A fee may be assessed for late registration.

Change of Registration
(Dropping and Adding Individual Courses)

During the first week of the semester, upper-class students may drop and add courses on Web Advisor. First-year students and international students, however, need to complete a drop and add form and secure the signature of their academic advisor.

After the first full week of class, no course(s) may be added to a student’s schedule without special permission from the Executive Committee.

Course(s) are deleted from a student’s schedule if dropped before the drop deadline (first week of classes for part-time students; second week of classes for full-time students). (See Withdrawal From All Courses if deleting all courses.) A student who wishes to remove a course from his or her schedule after the appropriate drop deadline may withdraw from the course (see Withdrawal from a Course).

It is the student's responsibility to add or drop a course if needed.

Validation of Registration
Each student is required to confirm his or her registration, provide directory information* and assume responsibility for the payment of tuition and fees by the end of the first week of classes. Prior to validation, students must clear all prior balances at the Business Office, clear any fines, return overdue books at the library, and have complete immunization records at Student Health (see Privacy of Educational Records).

Payment Policy

Students pay or make arrangements for payment of tuition, fees, room, and board by the end of the first week of each semester (see Payment Policies).

Cancellation of Registration

A student’s registration is canceled after the first week of classes if the student has not validated. A student may be administratively withdrawn from his or her classes after the first week of the semester if arrangements for payment have not been completed. When a student is administratively withdrawn, he or she will be charged 10% of the tuition and fees applying to his or her registration.

Once a student’s registration has been canceled or a student has been administratively withdrawn, he or she must appeal to the Dean to re-register for that semester.

Withdrawal Policy

Withdrawal from a Course
A student who withdraws from a course after the drop deadline but before the end of the tenth week* of the semester receives a “W” (Withdrawal). A Withdrawal is not computed in the grade point average. After the withdrawal deadline, a student may not withdraw and a grade is recorded. If extenuating circumstances dictate withdrawal from a class after the deadline, a student may petition the Executive Committee for consideration of a late withdrawal.

Withdrawal from all Courses
A student who discontinues his or her enrollment at Nebraska Wesleyan after the first week but before the end of the tenth week of the semester must file a Withdrawal from All Courses request in the Academic Affairs Office to avoid receiving “F” grades in all courses. After the withdrawal deadline, a student may not withdraw and grades are recorded. If extenuating circumstances dictate the necessity to discontinue enrollment after the deadline, the student may petition the Executive Committee for consideration of a late withdrawal. Contact the Academic Affairs Office for forms and additional information (see Refund Policy and Title IV Refund Calculation Policy).

It is the student's responsibility to withdraw from a course if needed.

*Withdrawal deadline is the end of the tenth week of the semester or the date at which 60% of the semester has been completed according to Federal Return of Title IV calculations, whichever is later.

Course Load

An undergraduate student must carry a minimum of 12 credit hours to be considered full time. (Definitions of “full-time status” may differ as they relate to eligibility for participation in intercollegiate athletics. For additional information, contact the Athletic Office.) A course load of 18 hours is the maximum allowed under the regular undergraduate tuition rate. A schedule in excess of 18 hours must be approved by the student’s advisor (see Degree Requirements).

A normal full-time undergraduate course load consists of 15 to 17 credit hours per semester. To complete the minimum number of credit hours required for graduation within four academic years, students will average 16 hours per semester. Students who plan to work while in college should arrange their schedules accordingly.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Specific requirements vary. Each instructor provides a written statement of his or her attendance policy to each class during the first week of the term in the course syllabus. A copy of the syllabus is also available for examination in the Academic Affairs Office.

Students who are unable to attend the first meeting of a class or laboratory for which they are registered should notify the instructor or department chair prior to the first meeting of the class or laboratory. If a notification of the student’s intent is not received, the instructor, at his or her discretion, may cancel the student’s registration if space is needed in the course. Ultimately it is the students' responsibility to officially drop any course they don't plan on attending before the drop deadline.

Students who plan to discontinue a course after the drop deadline must officially withdraw from the course before the withdrawal deadline (see Withdrawal Policy).

Note that if a student who has been awarded a federal loan and/or grant does not officially withdraw and fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course over an entire semester, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can document that the student completed the semester. Federal regulations require that a Title IV refund calculation be processed by the Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid. In the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, faculty members keep attendance records and may report absences deemed excessive to the student support system whenever counseling seems desirable. Each instructor may enforce attendance policies independently, however.

Students must take responsibility for contacting faculty regarding their anticipated absences for curricular and cocurricular activities and arranging for make-up work as expected. Students who anticipate absences because of curricular or cocurricular activities should make every effort to avoid other absences from classes. Guidelines regarding student absences for curricular and cocurricular activities are provided in the Student Handbook. For more information about these guidelines, contact the Academic Affairs Office or the Student Life Office.

Culmination Period

The culmination period for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences semester-long courses is a week-long interval in which no lecture examinations, tests, or quizzes are given (exceptions include laboratory practical examinations, activity examinations, final performances, makeup or repeat examinations, and self-paced examinations). The Academic Affairs Office may grant other exceptions. Commonly referred to as “Dead Week,” this period begins at 8 a.m. seven days before final examinations commence, and remains in effect until the beginning of the first exam of Finals Week. Courses offered in sessions shorter than the full semester do not have a Culmination Period.

Final Examinations

A final examination period is scheduled for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences semester-long courses. The Final Examination Schedule is posted each semester according to the day/time of the course section. Each course must meet no fewer than 50 minutes during the period specified in the final exam schedule. Any deviation from the published Final Examination Schedule must be approved by the Academic Affairs Office. (Exception: if there are multiple sections of a course, an instructor may allow a student to meet at the final exam time of another section of the same course.) Courses offered in sessions shorter than the full semester do have have a separate meeting time for final examinations.

All students, including seniors, take final examinations in each course for which they are registered unless the instructor exempts individual students from this requirement.

The Academic Year

The traditional academic year is divided into two 16-week semesters, a winter term between the semesters, and summer sessions. 

Fall and Spring Semesters
The first semester, referred to as the “Fall” semester, begins in late August and ends before Christmas. The second or “Spring” semester, begins in January and ends in early May. Some courses within a semester may be taught in shorter sessions, such as eight-weeks.

Winter Term
A five-week Winter Term is available between the Fall and Spring semesters (overlaps with both semesters), offering courses in arranged, online, or hybrid formats, to provide students the opportunity to complete a course during the holiday break.

Summer Sessions
Courses are regularly scheduled in Summer five- and eight-week sessions. Faculty-led travel courses are also often offered in the summer.

Definition of the Credit Hour

Nebraska Wesleyan University follows the Carnegie definition of the credit hour. However, because courses may be offered using a variety of delivery models (e.g., face-to-face, hybrid, or online), a "credit hour" at NWU is defined as 1) verifiable instructional time and/or activity leading to the achievement of expected learning outcomes for a given course, and 2) learning activities judged by the faculty to be the equivalent of the 45-hour time commitment per credit hour.

Therefore, credit hours at NWU may be awarded for a combination of classroom instruction, student work outside of class, or other approved educational activities including, but not limited to: creation of and reflection on a learning portfolio; engaging in clinical education or field experience; participating in and building upon knowledge gained through a practicum; completing a work of performance art, such as original musical scores or artwork; development of a formal presentation or other project related to the discipline.

No credit is earned for a course if a grade of “F” is received. For additional information, contact the Academic Affairs Office.

Classification of Students

Undergraduate students are classified according to the number of credit hours they have accumulated.

Classification Credit Hours Earned
Freshmen 0 to 25.5 hours
Sophomores 26 to 57.5 hours
Juniors 58 to 89.5 hours
Seniors 90 hours and above

Credit Earned Outside Regular Classes

Students may earn credit for coursework outside of regular classes at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Although credit for work completed at unaccredited institutions or in nontraditional academic settings is not normally granted at Nebraska Wesleyan, students may be able to certify their accomplishments through one of the following special programs or procedures:

Advanced Credit in Math and Modern Languages

Students who come to Nebraska Wesleyan with advanced skills in mathematics or modern languages may earn advanced credit for specific prerequisite courses after successfully completing the appropriate intermediate or upper-level course.

The Registrar will record “Advanced Credit” and a grade of “PX” in the prerequisite course(s) after receiving written approval from the department chair. Advanced credit earned in this manner applies toward the total number of hours required for graduation. It may count toward a major, minor, supporting program, or general education requirement for any degree. Advanced credit is not computed in the student’s grade point average. No fees are charged for advanced credit.

Advanced credit may be earned for MATH 1600 Calculus I for students who complete MATH 1610 Calculus II with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better. Credit may be earned for both MATH 1600 Calculus I and MATH 1610 Calculus II if the student completes MATH 2600 Calculus III with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better. Contact the Department of Mathematics for additional information.

Modern Languages
Advanced credit may be earned for intermediate level and third-year courses in French, German, and Spanish for students who complete the appropriate higher-level course with a grade of “B” (3.00) or better. Refer to the Department of Modern Languages for additional information.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students who have participated in an International Baccalaureate program may earn up to 32 college credits at Nebraska Wesleyan. 

Students who have received an IB diploma with a score of 30 or higher and have no score less than four in any one of the six examination groups may be given credit up to a maximum of 32 hours. Students who have achieved a score of five to seven in individual International Baccalaureate courses taken at the higher level may receive credit for those courses, up to a maximum of 32 hours.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students may earn college credit for satisfactory performance on the Advanced Placement tests in high school. There is no fee at Nebraska Wesleyan for credit hours earned through this option. Each request for this type of credit must be supported by results of the Advanced Placement Tests given by the College Entrance Examination Board. The norms for successful performance on a particular exam are determined by the appropriate Nebraska Wesleyan academic departments. For additional information contact the Registrar’s Office.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)**

Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 16 hours of credit by successfully completing College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Although there is a charge for taking the test, there is no additional fee for credit hours earned. To receive CLEP credit, students must score in the 50th percentile or higher; however, the norms for successful performance on a particular exam are determined by the appropriate Nebraska Wesleyan academic departments.

(Students taking the CLEP English Composition tests will also complete the supplementary essay.)

CLEP tests are administered regularly by regional testing centers of the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who have met requirements for these exams may secure credit at Nebraska Wesleyan by requesting the College Board to submit their scores to the Registrar.

For more information contact the Registrar’s Office or the University College Office.

Credit by Examination

A student who wishes to earn credit for a Nebraska Wesleyan University course may apply for Credit by Examination. The department chair/program director must approve that the course is appropriate to earn via credit by exam, the student must be in good standing, and the requested course cannot be a prerequisite for an advanced course in which the student is currently enrolled or has previously earned credit.  Credit by examination may not be earned for Selected Topics, Directed Readings, Independent Study, Special Projects, or Capstone courses. A student who has been enrolled in a course must wait at least six weeks following completion, failure, or withdrawal from a course before applying for credit by examination in the same course.

To pursue credit by examination, the student completes the Credit by Examination Application and pays the application fee. Within 30 days, the department chair/program director, or her/his designee, directs the administration of an examination or other appropriate discipline-based method for examining skills, knowledge, and competency of the course content.

Satisfactory performance for credit by examination, signified by a grade of "PX," is the equivalent to a grade of “C-” or higher for undergraduate credit or a grade of "B-" or higher for graduate credit. Students who wish to receive a grade other than “PX” for credit by examination must declare this intent prior to the exam, including department chair/ program director approval, on the Credit by Examination Application. Courses passed by examination and listed with a grade of “PX” on the student’s transcript are not computed in the student’s grade point average; neither are they considered pass/fail hours. Courses passed by examination with a grade other than “PX” are computed in the student’s grade point average.  (The department chair/program director must approve the use of a course with a grade of “PX” toward the major or program.)

Lifelong Learning Portfolio**

Eligible Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 16 hours of academic credit for informal college-level learning that has been experienced outside of the formal higher education setting and demonstrated through a portfolio. Although there is a charge for submitting a portfolio for review, there is no additional fee for credit hours earned. Please contact the Registrar's Office or University College Office for further information and details.

To be eligible, students must be accepted in a degree program at Nebraska Wesleyan, be at least 25 years old, and have five years of work experience.

Workplace and Military Training**

Nebraska Wesleyan students may earn up to 32 hours of academic credit for formal instruction they have accomplished in the military or through corporate training programs. Credit is awarded following the recommendations of the American Council on Education as published in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. There is no fee at Nebraska Wesleyan for credit hours earned through this option. For additional information, contact the Registrar’s Office or the University College Office.


**Credits earned through these prior learning assessment options (CLEP, Workplace and Military Training, Lifelong Learning Portfolio) may not exceed 64 hours.

Proficiency Examinations for No Credit

Students may be able to take departmental examinations to demonstrate proficiency for a course or requirement without receiving credit. Although successful completion of a proficiency examination waives a required course or requirement, it does not reduce the total number of hours needed for graduation. Students should consult with individual department chairs to see if a proficiency examination for no credit is available.

Transfer of Credits

Credits from regionally accredited two-year institutions, with grades of “C-” or above, are evaluated on a course-by-course basis. A maximum of 64 undergraduate semester hours will be accepted for transfer from two-year institutions. Within that 64 hour limit, Nebraska Wesleyan University may accept up to 16 semester hours for courses of a technical nature.  Although courses taken at a two-year institution may be equated to 3000-level or 4000-level courses, those courses are not counted as upper-level for the NWU degree.  (An additional 29 undergraduate hours may be transferred for graduates of NLNAC-accredited or state-approved collegiate nursing programs.) Undergraduate credit is accepted from all regionally-accredited four-year institutions for courses with a grade of “C-” or above. A maximum of 94 semester credit hours may transfer from all institutions attended.

Nebraska Wesleyan students who wish to enroll in one or more courses at another institution should secure in advance the approval of the student's advisor and/or the appropriate department chair(s) to ensure that credits are transferable. Students must, however, adhere to the appropriate residency policy (see Residency Requirement). To ensure transferability of credits earned while studying abroad, students secure written permission from the Director of Global Engagement and their advisors before leaving the United States. For more information and special advising on study abroad programs, contact the Director of Global Engagement. Students transferring from other institutions will have their transcripts evaluated by the Registrar to determine which credits Nebraska Wesleyan will accept (see Admission of Transfer Students).

Transfer credits count toward the total number of hours earned but are not included in GPA calculations. No undergraduate transfer credits are given for courses with a grade of “D+”, “D” or “D-” or the equivalent. No graduate transfer credits are given for courses with a grade or “C+” or lower or the equivalent.

Graduate-Level Courses Toward Bachelor's Degree

A student may count no more than 12 graduate-level credits toward her or his bachelor’s degree.  

Students may enroll in and count graduate courses toward their bachelor’s degree via one of following methods:

  • Be admitted to a program designed specifically for early enrollment in graduate courses. See program admission requirements.
  • Be granted permission by both the graduate program director and undergraduate department chair. Permission should be granted only after the program director/department chair consult with each other regarding space availability and curricular/pedagogical appropriateness, as well as confirming that the student meets the following standards: senior standing; a 3.25 or higher NWU GPA; and completed all necessary course prerequisites.

Graduate-level coursework completed by an undergraduate student will count as undergraduate credit and be calculated in the student's undergraduate GPA, as well as count as graduate credit and calculated in the graduate GPA.

Evaluation of Academic Work

Grading System

The following grades factor in the Grade Point Average (GPA):

Excellent A/A+ 4.00 grade points
  A- 3.67 grade points
  B+ 3.33 grade points
Good B 3.00 grade points
  B- 2.67 grade points
  C+ 2.33 grade points
Satisfactory C 2.00 grade points
  C- 1.67 grade points
  D+ 1.33 grade points
Marginal D 1.00 grade points
  D- 0.67 grade points


0.00 grade points

F* - Fail: grade of "D+" or lower; student elected Pass/Fail option

The following grades are not counted in the Grade Point Average (GPA):

AU - Audit
I - Incomplete
I* - Permanent Incomplete
NC - No Credit
P - Pass: Grade of "C-" or better earned; course designated as Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented
P* - Pass: Grade of "C-" or better earned; student elected Pass/Fail option
PX - Passed by Examination
W - Withdrawal
WA - Administrative Withdrawal

An “I” (Incomplete) may be given only when work is left incomplete due to extenuating circumstances such as illness, military service, death in immediate family, or personal/family hardship. Students are eligible for an incomplete grade only if they have already completed 75% of the coursework. The percentage of completion is determined by the instructor. A student requests an incomplete grade from the instructor.

If the instructor and department chair or program director approve the request, the student must fill out an Incomplete Agreement form (available from the Registrar's Office) prior to the end of the semester with the instructor and department chair or program director. The work for an Incomplete must be finished within the time allotted by the instructor (maximum of one year from the close of the term in which the student is enrolled*). The instructor stipulates what the final grade will become if the work is not completed.

If the work is completed within the allotted time, the instructor determines the final grade according to the quality of the student’s performance. If the work is not completed, the Registrar assigns the final grade stipulated on the Incomplete Agreement form. The final grade is entered on the student's transcript in place of the "I."

A Permanent Incomplete is allowed only in cases resulting from a catastrophic event in the life of a student, such as an incapacitating illness or other problems beyond the control of the student, which prevent the student from completing the work. In such cases, the student, his or her proxy, or the instructor can petition the Executive Committee for a Permanent Incomplete.

Grading Options for Courses

Grading options for each course are published in the class schedules. All courses are offered according to one of the following options:

  • Standard. When courses are offered on a standard basis, instructors submit traditional grades (see grade options under Grading System). Unless a pass/fail designation is indicated, courses follow the standard option. Students may elect to take the course pass/fail (see “Standard Pass/Fail under Student Options).
  • No Pass/Fail. Courses designated by No Pass/Fail (No P/F) must be taken for a letter grade. Students enrolled will earn a traditional grade with no possibility of earning a grade of “P*.”
  • Pass/Fail Only. Any courses designated as Pass/Fail Only (P/F Only) are automatically pass/fail for all students enrolled. Students do not request this option and instructors do not report grades other than “P” or “F.” Internships are normally offered on a pass/fail only basis.
  • Pass/Fail Oriented. In courses designated Pass/Fail Oriented (P/F Orient) students normally receive a “P” or “F” but may request a traditional grade (see Pass/Fail Oriented under Student Options).


The following options are available to undergraduate students:

  • Standard Pass/Fail. Students who wish to take a course offered on a standard basis for pass/fail may request to do so in the Registrar’s Office. To elect the pass/fail option, students submit a written request to the Registrar no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester. (Deadlines for winter term, summer and other shortened terms are prorated.) The instructor will not know that a student has elected the pass/fail option and will submit a traditional grade. Grades of “C-” and above are recorded as “P*” on the student’s transcript. Grades of “D+”, “D”, “D-” and “F” are recorded as “F*”.
  • Pass/Fail Oriented. Students who wish to take a course offered on a pass/fail oriented basis for a traditional grade submit a written request to the Registrar’s Office no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester. (Deadlines for winter term, summer and other shortened terms are adjusted accordingly.) In this case, the instructor will turn in a traditional grade rather than a “P” or “F” as usual.

Pass/Fail Regulations
The following regulations are in effect:

  • Grades of “P*” and “P” are not computed in the student’s grade point average; grades of “F*” and “F” are computed in the average.
  • Grades of “P*” may not be used to meet requirements for a major, minor or supporting program without permission from the chair of the department offering the major or minor.
  • Students classified as freshmen may not declare a course pass/fail.
  • Students classified as sophomore and above may declare one course pass/fail in a term. (This limitation does not apply to courses of 1 hour or fewer or to courses designated Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented.)
  • Students may use only one course with a grade of P* toward the Archway Curriculum. The course must be in the Foundational Literacies area.


A student may register for a course on an audit basis if space is available after first obtaining permission of the instructor. A student will earn no credit for a course taken on an audit basis. The designation of “AU” requires attendance of at least 75% of the class sessions. Should the student not fulfill this obligation, the instructor will indicate so on the final grade report, and the course will not be recorded on the student’s transcript. Music ensembles and certain other courses requiring participation may not be audited. The audit option is not available during Winter Term and Summer sessions.

Repeated Courses

When a student repeats a course, both grades remain on the student’s transcript, but only the last grade earned (whether higher or lower) and the associated credit(s) are used to determine hours earned and the student’s grade point average. Students who repeat a course and earn a grade of “F” lose any credits previously earned for that course.

See individual course descriptions for any repeat restrictions of courses. Courses are subject to change, and therefore repeating a course may not always be possible.

Calculating the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated according to the following steps:

  1. Total all hours taken at Nebraska Wesleyan in courses where traditional grades are earned (A, B, C, D with +’s and -’s, F and F* but not W, WA, P, P*, PX, I, or AU),
  2. Add all grade points, and
  3. Divide the sum of grade points by the sum of hours graded.

A semester GPA is computed each semester in addition to the cumulative GPA.

Transfer credits and grade points are not computed in the Nebraska Wesleyan University GPA. Transfer credits are recorded as a unit and count toward the total number of hours earned (see Transfer of Credits).

Minimum Grade Requirements

A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is required for a bachelor’s degree. A grade of “D+” or below in a subject is not acceptable for meeting major, minor or supporting program requirements. No more than 25 hours of credit earned with grades of “D+”, “D” and “D” (earned at Nebraska Wesleyan) may be applied toward any degree.

Academic Standing for Undergraduate Students

The minimum grade point averages permitted for undergraduate students to be considered in good standing for each classification are as follows:

Classification GPA
Freshman (0-25.5 hours) 1.60
Sophomores (26-57.5 hours) 1.80
Juniors (58-89.5 hours) 1.90
Seniors (90 hours and above) 2.00

At the end of each semester, undergraduate students who fail to remain in good standing are placed on academic warning, probation, or suspension, as outlined on the Undergraduate Academic Standing Table. Contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Undergraduate Academic Standing Table
  Freshmen (0-25.5 hours) Sophomores (26-57.5 hours) Juniors (58.5-89.5 hours) Seniors (90 hours and above)
Academic Warning Cumulative GPA falls below 1.60 Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.00

Academic Probation Cumulative GPA falls below 1.60 at the end of academic warning semester Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80 at the end of academic warning semester

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90 at the end of academic warning semester

Cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 at the end of academic warning semester

Academic Suspension Cumulative GPA falls below 1.60 at the end of academic probation semester

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.80 at the end of academic probation semester 

Cumulative GPA falls below 1.90 at the end of academic probation semester  Cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 at the end of academic probation semester

A student who is suspended is not allowed to enroll at NWU during the next semester or at any time in the future unless special permission is secured by the Dean of the Colleges.

Grade Reports

Final Grades: Students view grades online on WebAdvisor, normally within two weeks following the completion of the term.

Midterm Reports: After the midpoint of each semester, notices of unsatisfactory academic performance (commonly called “downslips”) may be available on WebAdvisor for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students and their advisors. Faculty are not required to submit midterm reports and therefore students should feel free to consult with their instructors regarding their class performance regardless of whether a midterm warning is reported or not. Midterm reports do not remain as part of the student’s education record.

Grade Change/Appeal Policy

At the beginning of each class, the instructor provides students his/her course syllabus that includes the grading policy for that course. A copy is also submitted to the Academic Affairs Office, which will be on file and available for review.

At the end of the class, if a student has a question about the grade he or she received in a course, or believes an instructor has violated the grading policy of the class, or thinks the instructor has assigned a grade capriciously or with malicious intent, the student should arrange to discuss the grade with the instructor. This discussion between the instructor and student may lead to an agreement that the grade will remain as reported, or that the instructor will submit a change of grade. Note that academic policy prohibits extra work being done in a course after the term has ended. A change in a student’s grade for a course is only possible if an error has been made by the instructor in the determination of the grade or in the reporting of the grade to the Registrar’s Office. (A student who desires a higher grade for a course has the option of repeating the course by registering for the class during a subsequent term. Both grades will show on the student’s transcript; however, the last grade earned is used to determine the GPA.)

If an error has been made by the instructor in the determination of the grade or in the reporting of the grade to the Registrar’s Office, the instructor may submit a change of grade form to the Registrar’s Office. Any error not reported within four months after the end of the term must have the approval of the Dean of the Colleges before it will be accepted by the Registrar’s Office. A changed grade replaces the original grade reported on the student’s transcript and automatically changes the cumulative GPA.

If the discussion between the student and instructor does not resolve the issue to the student’s satisfaction, the next step is for the student to have a conversation with the Department Chair/Program Director. The Department Chair/Program Director will attempt to mediate between the instructor and the student in order to resolve the dispute.

After speaking with the instructor and Department Chair/Program Director, a student who wishes to pursue further action will file a formal grade appeal. Students should contact the Academic Affairs Office for the complete Grade Appeal Policy. Questions and requests for more information about the Grade Appeal Policy may be addressed to the Academic Affairs Office.

Academic Bankruptcy

Academic Bankruptcy of one semester is available for Nebraska Wesleyan undergraduate students.  To be eligible, the student must currently be enrolled at Nebraska Wesleyan and not have completed his or her baccalaureate degree. At least 24 credits must have been earned by the student with an average GPA of 2.50 since the semester the student wishes to declare bankrupt, with 12 of those subsequent credits being earned at NWU.

Students file a “Declaration of Academic Bankruptcy” with the Registrar’s Office and the above eligibility requirements are confirmed.  Academic bankruptcy is for an entire semester; students may not specify individual courses or grades to bankrupt.  The bankrupt semester will remain on the student’s transcript: the original course grades will appear with a bankruptcy notation. Credit is not earned for any course within the bankrupted semester and therefore the courses may not count as graduation credit or be used to fulfill or waive a requirement. The bankrupt semester will not count in the student’s GPA.

Course Numbering System

The University’s courses are numbered and classified as follows:

1000-1999 Lower-level undergradaute courses designed primarily for freshman students
2000-2999 Lower-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for sophomore students
3000-3999 Upper-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for junior students
4000-4999 Upper-level undergraduate courses designed primarily for senior students
5000 and above Graduate-level courses


The Registrar’s Office will release transcripts only after the student has granted permission in writing or through the secure online request system. Students whose accounts are paid in full are entitled to an official transcript of their academic record. A fee is charged for each copy of a student's transcript.  Contact the Registrar’s Office for details regarding transcript requests.

Student Petitions

The Executive Committee acts upon student petitions involving academic requirements. Students requesting adjustments to academic rules and policies may direct their petitions to the Registrar’s Office for Executive Committee consideration. The committee is composed of the Academic Division Chairs, the University Registrar, the Dean of the Colleges (Chair of the Committee) and a representative of Student Affairs Senate. For additional information, contact the Academic Affairs Office or the Registrar’s Office.

Privacy of Educational Records - FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of student education records and provides students the following rights with respect to their education records:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.
Students should submit to the Registrar, Dean, Department Chair or Program Director, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for, and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading.
Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.
If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

NOTE: FERPA is not a grade-appeal law. The right to challenge grades under FERPA is limited to situations where the grade assigned was inaccurately recorded.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosures without consent.
FERPA allows the University to disclose records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions:

  • Nebraska Wesleyan University officials with a legitimate educational interest*
  • Other schools to which a student is requesting transfer or enrollment
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school
  • Accrediting organizations
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies

FERPA permits the University to disclose educational record information to a student’s parent or guardian if the student is their dependent for federal tax purposes. (**See Parental or Third Party Access to Academic Records)

FERPA also allows the University to disclose directory information without the written consent of the student. Directory information is information that generally would not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Nebraska Wesleyan University has designated the following as directory information:

  • Name
  • Addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • Email addresses
  • Student Level and Classification at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Degree programs, certificate programs, majors, and minors declared at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Dates of attendance at Nebraska Wesleyan, enrollment status, and anticipated graduation date
  • Degrees, certificates, and awards received at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Institutions attended prior to admission to Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Participation in recognized activities and sports at Nebraska Wesleyan
  • Photographs taken and maintained by the University
  • Weight and height of members of Nebraska Wesleyan athletic teams

Students have the right to withhold disclosure of this directory information. Students must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing or via approved electronic means, if they do not wish directory information to be released without their permission.  

FERPA requires the University to record the disclosure of information to third parties, except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to judicial orders and subpoenas, disclosures of directory information and disclosures to the student. Students may inspect and review the record of such disclosures.

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with requirements of FERPA.
The name and address of the office that administers FERPA are:
      Family Policy Compliance Office
      U.S. Department of Education
      400 Maryland Avenue, SW
      Washington, DC 20202
      Phone: 1-800-872-5327

* A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including security and student health personnel); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (including attorneys, auditors, collection agency, the National Student Clearinghouse); a person serving on the Board of Governors; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

**Parental or Third Party Access to Academic Records

All academic information is sent directly to students. Therefore, parents should establish communication with their sons and daughters if they wish to be informed about their students’ schedule and academic progress. Under FERPA, parents of Nebraska Wesleyan students may request in writing and receive their son or daughter’s grade information if the student has granted NWU authorization or after providing proof that the student is a dependent and is claimed as a tax exemption. Also, a student may grant a parent (or other third party) access to his/her academic and financial records through his/her WebAdvisor account.

Assessment of Student Learning

As part of its stated mission regarding excellence in education, Nebraska Wesleyan University is committed to assessing the degree to which students attain the institution’s educational goals. The faculty and staff may require students to participate in a variety of assessment activities that will help determine the extent to which these goals are being met. Assessment activities may include, but are not limited to, standardized testing, placement tests, surveys, portfolios of student work, group or individual interviews, or classroom research. Results are used to inform the process of teaching and learning, to shape the design and implementation of programs and curricula, and to describe and enrich the student experience at Nebraska Wesleyan University.

Student Right-to-Know Act

In accordance with the Student Right-to-Know Act of 1993, Nebraska Wesleyan’s student persistence/graduation rates are available for disclosure to current and prospective students, employees, and interested community members. See the Registrar’s Office for this information.

Teacher Certification Pass Rate

Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA) requires institutions with a teacher preparation program enrolling students receiving federal assistance under the HEA to provide information regarding the pass rate of program completers on assessments required by the state for teacher licensure or certification, the statewide pass rate on those assessments, and other basic information on the institution’s teacher preparation program.

Please contact the Education Department (Smith-Curtis 130) for this information.

Academic Dishonesty

The Code of Student Conduct states that students found to have engaged in academic dishonesty, which encompasses such activities as cheating, plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration, misrepresentation, and bribery, are subject to disciplinary sanctions. (See Article V of the Code of Student Conduct for a comprehensive listing of misconduct that is subject to disciplinary sanctions, as well as relevant terms and definitions.)

Faculty members have full authority in determining the action to be taken in cases of academic dishonesty. In addition to implementing the statements of the course syllabus addressing academic dishonesty, faculty may file a Report of Academic Dishonesty with the Registrar, or file a complaint with the Student Conduct System. If a Report of Academic Dishonesty is filed, a first report on a student prompts no further action. However, if a second report for a student is filed, a formal complaint is submitted against the student with the Student Conduct System. Any report after a second will launch another complaint. Complaints submitted to Student Conduct System prompt a formal judicial investigation.

Students should contact the Academic Affairs Office, Student Life Office, or Registrar’s Office for more information.